sábado, 28 de enero de 2012

The Border Guard-Joel Ben Izzy

There was once a Swiss guard who worked at the border of Austria. He had worked at the border of Austria. He had worked there for many years and took great deal of pride in his work.

One morning an Austrian man arrived at the border, riding a bicycle. On the front of the bike was a basket filled with sand. Another guard might have simply waved him through, but the Swiss guard did not. Instead, he brought out a special comb he kept for just such a purpose and began to sift through the sand in the basket. You see, he suspected the Austrian might be a smuggler. Finding nothing but sand, however, he waved the man through.

The same thing happened the next day, and the day after that. Though he never found anything, he kept on looking day after day for thirty years. Finally, one day, the Swiss guard spoke to the Austrian man. “ I must ask you a question, he said, “that has been on my mind many years. This is my last day of work.

Today I shall retire. And all these, I suspect you have been a smuggler. Now I ask you, for I must know- are you indeed a smuggler?’ The Austrian man hesitated, and the Swiss guard reassured him. “Do not worry- I give you my word of honor that I will not prosecute you. But I must know.” “Very well,” said the Austrian.”Then I will tell you- I am indeed a smuggler.” “Ah-ha!” said the guard.” I knew it! But each day I look through your basket and find nothing but son, Tell me, Please, what have you been smuggling?”
 
“Bicycles.”

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario